Maintaining Permanent Residence

A Permanent Resident may lose his/her permanent resident status by committing an act that makes him/her removable from the U.S. under the law.

Additionally, a Permanent resident may be found to have abandoned his/her permanent resident status if he/she:

  • Move to another country intending to live there permanently;
  • Remain outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa;
  • Remain outside of the U.S. for more than 2 years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa;
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the U.S. for any period;
  • Declare himself/herself a “nonimmigrant” on his/her tax returns.

Note: in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the U.S. may be considered.

For more information contact us today to schedule a professional consultation with an Immigration Attorney. Call (305) 515-VISA (8472) or click here.

Nous parlons Francais – We speak English – Hablamos Espanol