U.S. Citizenship for Children Residing Outside the U.S.

Biological or adopted children who regularly reside outside of the U.S. may qualify for naturalization.

To be eligible for citizenship under this section:

  • At least one parent is a U.S. citizen or, but if deceased, the parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of death;
  • The U.S. citizen parent or his/her U.S. citizen parent has (or at the time of death had) been physically present in the U.S. for at least five (5) years, at least two (2) of which were after attaining the age of fourteen (14);
  • The child is under the age of 18 years;
  • The child is residing outside of the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent (or, if the citizen parent is deceased, an individual who does not object to the application);
  • The child is temporarily present in the U.S. after having entered lawfully and is maintaining lawful status in the U.S.

To obtain citizenship under this section, an application for citizenship must be filed, approved, and the child must take the oath of allegiance, if required to do so, before s/he reaches age eighteen (18).

After naturalization, a child can obtain a U.S. passport.

For more information about this visa category contact us today to schedule a professional consultation with an Immigration Attorney. Call (305) 515-VISA (8472) or click here.

Nous parlons Francais – We speak English – Hablamos Espanol