The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico.
The TN nonimmigrant classification allows qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to engage in the U.S. in business activities at a professional level, including but not limited to computer systems analysis, accounting, management consulting, engineering, and sciences. (Click here or here to check the TN Status Professions List.)
To qualify for a TN status:
- The applicant must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- The applicant’s profession must qualify under the regulations;
- The position in the United States must require a NAFTA professional;
- The applicant possesses the qualifications required by the profession;
- The applicant has a full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer.
Period of Stay:
The TN initial classification and extension of stays may be granted for periods up to three (3) years.
Family of TN Status Holders:
The spouse and children under the age of 21 of a TN Status holder may be eligible for TD nonimmigrant status even if they are not citizens of Mexico or Canada. The spouse and children are not eligible to work while in the United States, but they are permitted to study.
For more information about this visa category contact us today to schedule a professional consultation with an Immigration Attorney. Call (305) 515-VISA (8472) or click here.
Nous parlons Francais – We speak English – Hablamos Espanol