K-3/K-4 Visas – Spouse and Children of a U.S. Citizen

The K-3 and K-4 classifications allow a U.S. citizen to bring foreign national spouse and children living abroad to the U.S. while they are awaiting the adjudication of their immigrant visa petition.

To qualify for the K-3 visa:

  • The visa applicant must be married to a U.S. citizen;
  • The visa applicant must have a pending immigrant petition filed by the U.S. citizen spouse;

To qualify for a K-4 visa:

  • The child must be unmarried;
  • The child must be under 21;
  • The child must be the child of a qualified K-3 nonimmigrant visa applicant.

Period of Stay:
The K-3 or K-4 classifications are granted for a two-year period and can be extended in two-year increments as long as the green card petition is still pending adjudication.

The K-3 and K-4 status expire 30 days after the denial of the green card application or termination of the marriage.

Children of K-3 Visa Holders:
The stepchildren of the U.S citizen spouse can obtain a K-4 visa if the marriage between the child’s foreign parent and the U.S. citizen occurred before the child’s 18th birthday.

Upon admission, K-3 and K-4 visa holders are eligible to apply for employment authorization.

Route to the Green Card:
If, at the time of approval, the marriage is less than two (2) years old, the K-3 and K-4 are granted permanent resident status on a conditional basis for two (2) years. They will then have to apply for removal of the condition after 1 year and 9 months to receive a ten (10) year permanent resident card. (Click here for more information on the green card for family of a U.S. citizen.)

However, if the marriage is more than two (2) years old, the K-3 and K-4 visa holders are granted permanent resident status for ten (10) years.

For more information about this visa category contact us today to schedule a professional consultation with an Immigration Attorney. Call (305) 515-VISA (8472) or click here.

Nous parlons Francais – We speak English – Hablamos Espanol