Family of a U.S. Citizen

U.S. citizens can file Petition for Alien Relative for their family members to immigrate to the U.S.

U.S. Citizens can petition for the following family members:

    • Immediate relatives, including:
        • Spouses of U.S. citizens;
        • Children (unmarried and under 21) of U.S. citizens;
        • Parents of U.S. citizens (The petitioning citizen must be 21 or older.)

–> Visa number immediately available, i.e. immediate relatives can be granted permanent resident status within a short period of time.

    • Other relatives qualifying in a “family preference category”:
        • Unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21;
        • Married child(ren) of any age;
        • Brothers and sisters (if the U.S. citizen petitioner is over the age of 21).

–> To check visa availability click herei.e. other relatives must wait for their visa category to become available to be granted permanent resident status.


    • Two step process;
    • Premium Processing not Available;
    • Visa availability varies depending on the Alien’s relationship to the U.S. citizen.

If the foreign national and the U.S. Citizen have been married less than two (2) years at the time that the immigrant petition is approved, the alien will receive a conditional permanent resident status valid for two (2) years.

The foreign national must apply to remove conditional status within the 90-day period before the expiration date on the conditional resident card. The conditions must be removed or the foreign national will lose his/her permanent resident status.

However, if the couple has been marred for over two (2) years, the alien will receive a permanent resident status valid for ten (10) years.

For more information about this visa category contact us today to schedule a professional consultation with an Immigration Attorney. Call (305) 515-VISA (8472) or click here.

Nous parlons Francais – We speak English – Hablamos Espanol